Wednesday 1 April 2009

Does it Change?

7th Grade.. I used to wake up with the temple bell ringing in my ears...The echoing prayers from the Mosque used to Freshen me up ...
Those were the days when the rickety vegetable shops at Pudupatinam played their transistor Radio's .... we cud hear the classics of Illayraja...Lyrics used to be more important those days...people used to warble "rasathi unnai kanatha nenjam" and strike their feet to "Raja kaiya vecha"...

Amma wud trigger up with her morning chores at 6 … the first thing she did was to turn her radio on and I remember listening to the Vandemataram with Aakashvani news henceforth...When the clock ticked 9 she switched the channel to Ceylon.. it was just songs ...until she decided to turn it off at 11....there were not many so called RJ's then..It was the one and only Abdul rehman and Amma was crazy abt his voice & his unequivocal Tamil...

I got back home from school ...Amma was excited …She had heard a new song and as usual wanted me to know ...without slightest hesitation, she sang a few lines “chinna chinna aasai...chiragadikum aasai”...I ardor to listen when Amma apprises me with something like that...she being at home always found a way to keep herself busy and entertained...I ,jittery abt my Mathematics UT marks tht day gave a cold shoulder to that song saying ..Its no goood...she did get to the root cause soon...

This song again was infused to my head by my classmate and then by my neighbour...!! Saras our neighbour who was the only guy who owned the dreambike (Streetcat) came down to say that AR Rehman was the guy we were looking for and that the song wud defintly be telecasted on TV the next friday ...So after waiting in anticipation...we all watched the song for the first time on "Oliyum Oliyum"...the song was amazing by all means…be it the scenery ,be it the music,be it the cast….


people were just getting the cable connections home so that they cud watch more of such songs and then came the ERA Of Cable TV…Achan dint oppose to this SAT-VIEW stuff...he knew how much Amma adored music...!!
I hardly remember anything from then on...Life was faster...Old songs were not heard anymore... programs were all around...super10, ungal choice and so on...we cud see any song which we longed to watch in no time...A.R.Rehman was the name and he was all over ....but somehow I was more smitten by Arvind Swamy...I cut out this man who was a covertive crush for many gals then and stuck him in my Geometry box...safeee!!!!


I was looking through Rediff news today and came across ..My Dream Man whom I locked in my Natraj Geometry box..He had grown older..he was in Distress..the eyes which used to show me dreams looked heavy with strain...And the small town boy who once made Amma sing with excitment..had got two Oscars back home...!


"Time does change! and whn it does...it doesnt do the same to all..."

1 comment:

  1. I remember di.. Aunty loves her radio.. I still admire aunty for her energy.. Wow. Ur house used to crystal clean.. Not even a single dust. Still aunty makes sure she cleans the house daily.. Radio, I remember very well.. Everyday,before leaving school, I ring ur home and say bye to aunty and then go...

    ReplyDelete